Thank you to everyone who has sent in their applications. There have been so many great potential candidates, we are currently reviewing all the paperwork to make a selection who will be invited to interview in person.
Due to the high volume of interest in these positions, we are only able to respond to and offer an interview spot to a short list of candidates. Thank you for your understanding.
The Beacon Hill Children's Farm is looking for new staff members to join our team.
Who we are
We are a family and society operated farm with a small dedicated team of staff who takes care of our over 100 farm animals. During the spring, summer and part of the fall the farm is usually open to visits from the public and during that time we operate the farm with the help of additional staff members and many volunteers.
While working at the farm is really fun and working alongside the animals is a huge privilege, farm work comprises of a lot of physical labour with the same care tasks every day which always require the same level of quality – no matter the weather – while keeping the farm open and working with the public to create a enjoyable experience for everyone.
Our animals are like family, we work and live alongside them, their care and wellbeing are our highest priority.
What we're looking for
We are looking to expand our team of farm workers with mature individuals who are highly motivated, enjoy working outside and to interact with many different people, show great respect towards all animals and are very interested in their care. We are also looking for the following skills and qualifications in the applicants:
- Outstanding communications skills with people of all ages, backgrounds, and abilities
- Comfortable talking to the public and interacting with coworkers and staff
- Ability to address a group publicly
- Very good social/ interpersonal skills and team spirit
- Respect for others and the workplace
- Lots of patience and a good sense of humor always helps
- Able to follow instructions
- Fast learner
- Attention to detail
- Have very good understanding and practice of hygiene and cleaning standards
- Trustworthy and capable to work and calculate with cash and operating an Interac machine
- Able to work in a busy and fast environment with lots of distractions (and still staying focused)
- Ability to work well under pressure
- Very good time management
- Physically and mentally able to actively work an up to 9-10 hours work day, where speed, cleanliness and medium heavy (carrying up to 50 lbs) farm work is expected
- 100% reliable
- Excellent work attitude
- Willingness to work on weekends/ holidays
- Time flexibility and willingness to fill shifts on call (if needed)
- Criminal record check including vulnerable sector check is required
Previous experience with animals and a Driver’s License are a strong asset.
What we offer
- Paid hourly depending on qualifications and previous experience, starting at 17.50 CAD
- Overtime and Holiday pay
- Part-time position to start that can become close to full-time for the right candidate during summer months
- One-of-a-kind work environment
- Becoming part of a great team and getting to know our animals
- Working outdoors
- Gaining in our knowledge about animal care, potentially preventative care and assisting with medical procedures
- Starting date: as early as Tuesday, February 20th 2024
How to apply
To apply, please email your resume and a cover letter that tells us a little bit about you and why you would be a good fit for the position (not more than one page) to: email@example.com with subject: Job Application Farm Worker
Deadline: Saturday, February 10th 2024
We would like to apologize in advance that only a short list of applicants will be contacted to be potentially invited for a personal interview.
Please absolutely NO phone calls or follow up emails. Thank you.